- Agencies may accept belated Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) open season enrollments in a [High Deductible Health Plan] HDHP with a [Health Savings Account] HSA through December 31, 2006, for employees who are otherwise eligible for an HSA. [The regular Open Season closed on December 11.] Contact your agency Human Resources office for instructions.
- SHPS, the FSAFEDS administrator, will allow FSAFEDS enrollees to revoke their HCFSA or change their HCFSA to a Limited Expense HCFSA (LEX HCFSA) for 2007, so that they may enroll in an HDHP with an HSA. Anyone enrolling in an HDHP may also elect a LEX HCFSA [an FSA limited to dental and vision expenses]. Enrollees should go to www.fsafeds.gov for instructions. >THIS CHANGE MUST BE MADE ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 31, 2006.
- Current FEHB Program HDHP enrollees with a [Health Reimbursement Arrangement] HRA may make a one-time transfer of the HRA balance to an HSA if they are otherwise eligible for an HSA in 2007.
- FEHB Program enrollees who choose HDHP coverage for 2007 may make a one-time balance transfer from a 2006 HCFSA [Health Care FSA] to an HSA. Anyone who enrolls now or enrolled in an HDHP during Open Season will have to transfer any remaining HCFSA funds to be eligible to have an HSA.
- For FSAFEDS enrollees wishing to make such a transfer, there may be a small processing fee for the transfer. FSAFEDS will notify participants regarding of any fee. The transfer will be made after the payment is received.
Thursday, December 21, 2006
OPM Reacts to the Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006
President Bush signed the Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006 yesterday (see 12/20 FEHBlog entry) and in response the U.S. Office of Personnel Management is allowing the following actions that are permitted under this law: