Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sen. Lieberman opposes public option

I don't know what depressed me more yesterday -- the Redskins' woeful performance against the Eagles or Senate Majority Leader's support for the public option. Needless to say, my day brightened today when I read that independent Senator Joe Lieberman, from Connecticut, who caucuses with the Democrats, is opposed to the public option. The Wall Street Journal reports that
"I think that a lot of people may think that the public option is free. It's not," Mr. Lieberman said. "It's going to cost the taxpayers and people that have health insurance now, and if it doesn't, it's going to add terribly to our national debt."
I completely agree with the Senator. Perhaps that's because I grew up in Connecticut. Perhaps that because I have watch how over the past 25 years how the statutory pricing in Medicare and Medicaid have shifted costs to the private sector without really controlling the costs of those Programs.

The AP further notes that "The reaction from moderate Democrats -- they fear a public plan could drive insurers out of business and take over the marketplace -- ranged from muted to skeptical. The one Republican who has so far lent her support to Democratic health overhaul proposals, Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine, said she was "deeply disappointed" by Reid's decision." Stay tuned.

No comments: