In other personnel news,
- The Hill reports that the Senate Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee will hold a confirmation hearing on the President's nominee for Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar next Tuesday, January 9.
- Former OPM Director Kay Cole James has become president of the Heritage Foundation. Ms. James was OPM Director during the President George W. Bush's first term.
- Prof. Timothy Jost who wrote on the ACA for the Health Affairs blog is retiring.
In healthcare cost news,
- Reuters reports that "Drugmakers opened the new year by raising U.S. prices on dozens of medicines, but early data showed the increases generally remained within a 10 percent self-imposed limit in response to a backlash from consumers and politicians." That takes some kind of chutzpah considering the fact that the U.S inflation rate currently is 2.2%.
- Becker's Hospital Review informs us about the status of Anthem's efforts to implement a payment cuts to charges certain services performed on the same day as visits for separately charged visits for wellness services or other procedures. No good deed, etc.